Tuesday 3 March 2015

Album cover

To create the album cover I took some pictures of Jack using my girlfriends camera which is far better than my iPhone camera. I took half a dozen images of Jack in the photographic studio, in the pose that Carly Rae Jepsen is on the album cover for Call Me Maybe. I used professional lighting and a white backdrop to ensure the image would be as clear as possible, so the end product would be high quality.





The top 4 are images I decided not to use, for little reasons like the position was off, the lighting wasn't right etc. I was happy with the bottom image, which I then took to the next stage of development. 

I imported the image into photoshop and began removing the edges, I did this using multiple tools so I was left with nothing but Jack. A lot of people use the quick select tool when trying to remove the background surrounding an image because it is the fastest way to do so. I however, prefer to painstakingly go round the edge with the eraser tool on a somewhat soft setting, removing the background by hand. 



Once I had nothing but Jack, I proceeded to adding him onto the cover for the album using Carly's as the template. First I needed to remove her which was fairly simple, just replacing her with the blank background using the colour replacement tool. Also before I added Jack I changed the writing on the cover. Originally reading "Carly Rae Jepsen" then Call Me Maybe, I replaced her name with Jacks, and added the Don't in front of Call Me Maybe. Finding the correct font was somewhat challenging, I used Dafont to find both the font for the name and for the "Don't". The final blank cover looked like this. 


One of the final steps was to add Jack onto the cover, this was easy as all I had to do is place him on the front, however I then edited him so he looked brighter with higher contrast. This is because on album covers the artist is always edited to look perfect, but I didn't want to do that to Jack. Not that he isn't perfect... But I just decided that a more natural look will suit the parody aspect because he clearly isn't a glamorous, attractive young woman. After the touch ups it looked something like this. 



I was more or less finished by this point, however I decided something wasn't quite right. Jack looked like he was floating in the air, so I used the burn tool to cast a shadow beneath him. It is very subtle however I think it adds a lot. It's the finishing touch, here is the final product. 




I will be using this image on my website and on my magazine cover. It will be the main image for the magazine cover as the cover is advertising the album release. I will also use it on my website as a main image because the website would be updated regularly, therefore the newest and most important event would be the album release, therefore making it a main image makes it as obvious as possible. 

Here is both covers to compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment